Moving your Washing Machine and Dryer Location
There are a number of reasons why people decide to move their laundry room between floors. Often they are put in the basement of a house – the floor furthest away from the bedrooms and bathrooms where most of the laundry is made. By having your washing machine and dryer closer to these rooms, by being on the ground floor or upstairs, you create less work for yourself.
What is involved?
Moving your washing machine and dryer is a relatively simple process if you already have plumbing and the energy sources that they need. The process is as follows:
- Disconnect the dryer vent pipe.
- Turn off the water valves to the washing machine and turn the machine on for 30 seconds to drain any water that was inside.
- Disconnect both of the hoses from the water source and the back of the washing machine.
- Unplug both appliances.
- Using a dolly, attach the dryer and take it up the stairs to your required room.
- Leave the dryer 2 feet away from the position that you want it to be in and connect the vent pipe to the dryer and the new ventilation output.
- Plug the dryer in and slide it into place.
- Using the same method as the dryer, move your washing machine to the new location and leave it 1 foot away.
- Connect the water hoses into the back of the machine and use a wrench to get them really tight, and connect them to the water taps.
- Reconnect the drain pipe to the washing machine. If your new laundry room has a floor drain, try to set the drain pipe about 3 inches above, to help reduce the build-up of grime and debris.
- Put the washing machine into place.
- Run a test on both the washing machine and dryer to check that it is all working properly.
Before you decide where your new laundry room location will be, you need to make sure that the floor is strong enough to withstand both the weight of the machines as well as the vibrations that they make when they are working.
When to get professional help?
There are times when it is advisable to get professionals in to carry out the move. Professional plumbers such as Taylor’s Plumbing can carry out the whole service for you.
If your new chosen location doesn’t have the plumbing that is required for your new laundry, they can come and put the pipes in for you. The machines are also very heavy and moving them from one floor to the next is a big task. Here at Taylor’s Plumbing, we have all of the tools that are needed to move your washing machine and dryer up or down the floors of your home.
If you have any doubts or misgivings about moving your laundry room, contact us and we can carry out the whole service for you. You can just sit back, relax and be safe, knowing that everything will be done properly and professionally. Now all that remains to do is that huge pile of laundry that you’ve been putting off.